I suggest you ...

Improve Performance of Internal Event Log Viewer

Some of the systems we monitor with EventSentry are over slow WAN connections. It can be painful to load up the event log of one of those servers in EventSentry's internal event viewer.

This is understandable, given the speed of the WAN link. But, the way EventSentry operates can make things worse.

Here is my typical workflow:

1. Open remote event log in EventSentry.
2. Wait several minutes...
3. Run "Test against Filter Rules" on an event.
4. Wait several minutes for event log to reload.
5. Use "Add Include filter" or "Add Exclude Filter" to create a filter for a specific event.
6. Customize the new filter.
7. Return to remote event log.
8. Wait several minutes...
9. Run "Test against Filter Rules" on the event to verify the new filter is working as desired.

Perhaps some kind of caching can be implemented. It's totally understandable that the first time I view a remote event log, the process may be slow. But, watching EventSentry throw out what it worked so hard to get only to reload all of the data again is discouraging.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marc KMarc K shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marc KMarc K commented  · 

Another option might be to allow opening the events into a separate window. That would remove the need to reload the data so often.

• Marc KMarc K commented  · 

It's a mix of 2003 x86, 2003 x64, 2008 x86, 2008 x64 and 2008 R2.

• Ingmar KoecherIngmar Koecher commented  · 

Marc, which operating system are the remote hosts running? There are different event log libraries depending on whether it's Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 & later.

Feedback and Knowledge Base